God’s Love in Action
What is Stephen Ministry?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
A Stephen Minister is…
A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting
- A congregation member with gifts for caregiving who was carefully selected to serve in this role
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care
- A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there’s a need
“Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2
Stephen Ministers Care For People Facing Tough Times
We all experience challenges in life — times when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian friend. Stephen Ministers are ready to provide the emotional and spiritual care we need when faced with a crisis or difficulty such as…
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or a job crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- And many more
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry:
The identity of those receiving care and what takes place in each caring relationship remain private.
“Therefore encourage one another and build up each other.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11
Stephen Ministry is Your Ministry
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone.
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a good listener and a compassionate person, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
Stephen Leaders Are:
Trained leaders in our congregation who oversee and direct our Stephen Ministry.
- If you — or someone you know — could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister…
- If you are interested in possibly becoming a Stephen Minister…
- If you have any other questions about Stephen Ministry…
…talk with one of our Stephen Leaders.
“Love one another — as I have loved you.” John 13:34
To speak to a Stephen Minister, please contact our Stephen Leader, Robbie Hill at 620-342-3046 or at email@example.com.